A lot of Nigerian graduates have been asking what the NYSC exemption certificate is, and how they can get theirs.

If you are one of those, this article will help, as in this article, I will be telling you what NYSC exemption letter is, and how to get yours.

nysc exemption letter

What is NYSC Certificate of Exemption?

The NYSC exemption certificate is a certificate issued to a Nigerian graduate that shows that he or she is with his or her first degree but was exempted from NYSC.

Usually, there are many reasons why certain persons are exempted to serve in NYSC. We will consider some of those below.

Eligibility for NYSC Exemption

To be eligible for NYSC certificate of exemption, you must be a Nigerian graduate with a BSc., BA, or HND qualification, from an approved or accredited Institution by NUC, NTBE, or NCCE.

For foreign-trained graduates, they must submit their Certificates at the Mobilization Department for Evaluation.

In addition, according to the National Youth Service Corps Decree 1993 section 2 subsection (1), it is stipulated that;

“With effect from 1st August 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification” :

1. He is over the age of thirty (30) years

2. He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or

3. He is a member of staff of any of the following:

  • The Nigerian Security Organization or
  • The State Security Service, or
  • The National Intelligence Agency or
  • The Defence Intelligence Service

4. He has been conferred with any National Honour.

These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the Certificates of Exemption.

Collection of NYSC Certificate of Exemption

If you wish to collect your NYSC certificate of Exemption, please follow the process below.

How to Get NYSC Exemption Letter for Home Trained Graduates

First, the institution attended has to submit a master list of graduates alongside the Senate approved result to NYSC.

NYSC will then process a print-out that contains those to be called up for service and those to be exempted.

This print-out is sent back to the Institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.

With the print-out, the Certificates of Exemption are produced, documented, and sent back to the Institutions for issuance to the appropriate persons.

Please note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption for home-trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in the NYSC office. #exemption letter.

How to Get NYSC Exemption Letter for Foreign-Trained Graduates

First, the credentials of the candidate and other related documents i.e. International passport will be evaluated.

After the evaluation of credentials, the foreign-trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja.

It is at the point of registration that the classification of who to be called-up or who to be exempted; is determined.

Certificates of Exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.

Such Certificates of Exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.

Please note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption is grouped under the three batches of the service year, depending on the date of registration.

This equally would be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.

Collection of Certificate of Exemption is strictly with identification such as an International passport and the bearer MUST BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT.

Replacement of Certificate of Exemption

In the case of loss of Certificate of Exemption, the following steps are to be taken for replacement.

For Home trained graduates, the following documents are required.

  • A letter of notification/request routed through the Institution of graduation and addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
  • Police Extract/Report
  • Court Affidavit
  • Where available, a copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption

For foreign-trained graduates, the following documents are required.

  • A letter of notification/request addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
  • Police Extract/Report
  • Court Affidavit
  • Photocopy of International passport
  • Where available, the copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption

It is the policy of the Scheme not to reprint lost or burnt Certificates. Letters of Confirmation are issued instead.

Corrections and Complaints

Issues of complaints and corrections for home-trained graduates are to be routed through the Institutions of graduation.

The school then forwards such cases with necessary attachments such as a photocopy of print-out to NYSC for the purpose of rectification or further necessary action.

Foreign-trained graduates are to submit a handwritten application with the attachment of a photocopy of the International passport –data page and original Certificate of Exemption to be addressed to the Director-General, NYSC NDHQ, Abuja, indicating their address and telephone number.

That’s all on how to collect and replace NYSC exemption certificate of exemption for both home-trained and foreign-trained graduates.

If this article was helpful, please share it with your friends using any of the share buttons below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like